Moving Day Food Plan – Think Ahead!
We may all be guilty of forgetting to eat on hectic days and moving day is HECTIC with a capital “H”! Take our advice and make a moving day food plan in advance because with all that lifting (or moving crew supervising) ahead of you, you don’t want to fall prey to the midday munchies. Nothing is worse than running out of steam before you’re settled enough in to your new home to turn in.
Early Morning Moving Day Food Plan
I’m sure your mama taught you that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It’s no different on moving day. You’ll want to get off on the right foot with something healthy and balanced but quick and easy at the same time! You’ll want to keep your breakfast plan simple. All those pots and pans will be packed away. Fortunately, healthy breakfast can be just as quick and easy as it is important. Try out these ideas for your early morning moving day food plan:
- Oatmeal and berries. You make your oatmeal the day before you move and dress it up on moving morning with fruit, honey, or for extra energy, chia or flax seeds.
- Grab and go breakfast burritos. If you start a day in advance, you can scramble some eggs and mix in some crumbled bacon or sausage and some cheese. Store your stuffing in the fridge and on moving day, all you’ll need is some tortillas and few minutes to warm your burritos in the oven or a microwave. Lots of protein and easy to eat on the go!
- Smoothies. If you keep your blender handy, mixing up some smoothies for breakfast is a great way to use up those fruits, veggies, and yogurt left in the fridge so you don’t have to toss when you move out and need to clear out that fridge. For an extra boost, add some powdered protein mix!
Mid-Day Moving Day Moving Food Plan
Lunch may be the most challenging meal in your moving day food plan. You’ll likely be smack in the middle of your move with everything in the kitchen packed away and boxes and goods fully on the move. Don’t give into the urge to order pizza or hit a drive-thru! You don’t want to suffer that mid-afternoon crash that follows a lunch high in carbs and preservatives. Your body is going to need fuel.
- Vegetables and energy boosting dips. Like those breakfast smoothies, having veggies for lunch helps you clear that fridge! Add some hummus, tofu, or tuna dip and get your punch of protein!
- Sandwiches. Sammies are kind of a given in your moving day food plan because you can get them ready to go ahead of time.
- Salads. Think pasta salad or salads heavy in legumes. Like sandwiches, you can prep them in advance.
Munchies for Moving Day
If your move is a big one, you’ll want to be prepared for a whole day’s worth of relocation tasks. That means you’ll need to plan for that mid-afternoon slump when you get munchies and need a little pick me up. Plan something grab and go and avoid those carbs!
- Celery or apples and peanut butter. Boost your energy with protein and a little crunch!
- Protein and granola bars. No real secret here – grab something high and protein and fiber on the go!
- Go nuts! Even a small handful will do when you have energy boosting nuts on hand. You can’t wrong with almonds and maybe some fruit!
Dinner on Moving Day
Calling that pizza delivery guy may be tempting again, but after a long day of moving and unpacking, you may want to with something a little more substantial. It’s a great time to get to know the delivery options in your new neighborhood. Hit up the Google machine and check for Indian or Mediterranean food, sandwich delivery, someplace with lots of veggie options, and the like. If you want to be extra prepared, check out the options in your new hood before moving day!
Don’t Forget to Stay Hydrated!
You’ll need more than food to keep you going on moving day, especially if you’re relocating in Tennessee heat! Water should be a go to, but it’s a good idea to keep some sweetened drinks and those with electrolytes on hand too. Keep that energy up all day and if you’re one to celebrate, have some beer and wine ready to go for when that last box has made its way into your new home. 😉
We know there is a lot to do when you’re planning to move, but don’t let eating slip off the list. You can spend a little time in advance making a moving day food plan and you’ll save yourself tons of slumps and growling tummies on the day of the move. You’ll thank us for it!
The fearless leader of Fox Moving and Storage’s marketing efforts, Janell Darlene is a marketer, wordsmith, KPI monitor, and ROI chaser. When not marketing for Fox Moving, she dabbles on the web at ohsonashville.com and idreamofmeaning.com among other spots.